Market Hall

You are at Home -> The Town of Pullman -> Market Hall

Market Hall

The first Market Hall was a two-story structure containing a lunch counter and sixteen stalls for the sale of fresh meats and vegetables. The second floor housed a meeting hall that could accommodate 600 persons. The structure was gutted by fire in 1892.

The Broadhead Meat Market
The Broadhead Meat Market in the Market Hall, ca. 1890

The second Market Hall was constructed on the same site in 1893 and was three stories high. The Circle Buildings each containing three apartments were added at the same time. These new buildings, with their graceful colonnades and arches, were constructed to better define and enhance the square. The new Market Hall contained twelve stalls on the first floor, and an assembly hall with stage on the second floor. The third floor held rooms for lodge meetings etc. After another fire in 1931, the upper half of the building was removed, and the lower half was occupied by a grocery and tavern until it was finally demolished by fire again in 1974.

The 2nd Market Hall
The Second Market Hall, ca. 1900


11111 S. Forrestville Avenue
Chicago, IL 60628

Website | E-Mail | Directions


More Information About the Town of Pullman

Planning the town

4 blueprints of the Market Hall by Solon Beman

The Hotel Florence

The Hotel Florence, ca. 1892

The Arcade

The Arcade, ca. 1910

Arcade Park

Arcade Park, ca. 1895

The Stables

The Pullman Fire Department in front of the Stables

Market Hall

1st Market Hall, 1881-1892

Area Churches

The "Greenstone" Church

Area Schools

Pullman School

The Freight Depot and the Railway Station

The Pullman Freight Depot

Other Pullman Buildings

The Pullman Gas Works

The Pullman House History Project

Arranged by:




Maps of Pullman

1897 Sanborn Map