The Hotel Florence

You are at Home -> The Town of Pullman -> The Stables

The Stables

The Pullman Company required that all horses and carriages be kept in the stables building.

The Stables, 1885
The Stables, ca. 1885.

Carved, wooden horse heads set into the facade made the purpose of the building unmistakable. The location of the facility kept clean-up tasks to a minimum. At the turn of the century, a popular Sunday afternoon activity was to rent a carriage and team to tour the countryside and enjoy a family picnic. The cost at that time was $3.00 per day.

Posing in front of the firehouse at the stables
Posing in front of the firehouse at the stables

See a listing of who worked in the stables.

THE PULLMAN STATE HISTORIC SITE

11111 S. Forrestville Avenue
Chicago, IL 60628
773.660.2341

Website | E-Mail | Directions

 

More Information About the Town of Pullman

Planning the town


4 blueprints of the Market Hall by Solon Beman

The Hotel Florence


The Hotel Florence, ca. 1892

The Arcade


The Arcade, ca. 1910

Arcade Park


Arcade Park, ca. 1895

The Stables


The Pullman Fire Department in front of the Stables

Market Hall


1st Market Hall, 1881-1892

Area Churches


The "Greenstone" Church

Area Schools


Pullman School

The Freight Depot and the Railway Station


The Pullman Freight Depot

Other Pullman Buildings


The Pullman Gas Works

The Pullman House History Project

Arranged by:

 Name

 Address

 Occupation

Maps of Pullman


1897 Sanborn Map